Logistics managers face the pressures and needs of optimizing logistics costs on a daily basis, while wanting to maintain the level of services and their efficiency. At RCM, we define five steps that will help your company optimize logistics costs.
1. Eliminate costly logistics errors
due to your incomplete documentation or selection of an unprofessional logistics partner. In logistics, mistakes occur frequently and also come at a price. For example, your goods cannot be delivered on time due to lack of information, or delays are collected in containers in ports because the import, export or transit documentation is incomplete. So, you provide the appropriate documentation, and your chosen logistics partner can prove its quality by maintaining quality certificates, such as the quality management system, ISO 9001: 2015 and the AEO certificate,(Authorized Economic Operator) which proves that the logistics partner is safe and a reliable business partner in international trade.
2. Evaluate value - added services.
Most logistics providers provide a single form of value-added service. These services can be as simple as product labeling or as complex as a complete product customization. The transfer of certain tasks to different logistics service providers is not always the most optimal.
There may be a more cost-effective approach, such as completing easier services within the company or through a business partner that provides comprehensive logistics services in one place:
Individual types of transport or the best combination of different types of transport to:
- Land transport: domestic and international road transport of partial and full loads; exceptional transports - heavy cargo and cargo with exceptional dimensions; the organisation of rail transport (containers + general cargo); transport of dangerous goods (ADR) and the organisation of loading and warehousing.
- Sea transport: containers - FCL (full containers); containers - LCL (partial containers); general cargo and project cargo.
- Air transport.
Comprehensive solutions in the area of forwarding customs documentation
- Customs consultancy and customs requirements in customs procedures (import, export, transit: T1, T2, T2L, TIR);
- Participations in customs inspections, veterinary inspections and conformity checks;
- direct and indirect representation in customs procedures (Procedures 40 and 42), reporting to Intrastat.
When choosing a freight forwarder, make sure that it has permits that allow 24/7 customs clearance, thus saving your time and money. Remember that the strategic positioning of your freight forwarder's business units is also very important.
Read more about customs procedures at: Freight forwarding services.
If you do not have your own warehouse, choose a warehouse with the possibility of customs warehousing of goods and all support services. It is important that the customs warehouse is located near major ports, highways and railways. It has customs permits, which relieve you of the payment of import duties. By using this type of service, you will find it easier to manage your own stocks of goods and space constraints.
You must ensure complete distribution, from on-site collection, handling, customs clearance, transport to warehousing, etc.).
You can read more about your options in the field of comprehensive warehousing services at: customs warehousing.
3. Optimize logistics costs and shorten transit time with less than containet load shipments (LCL)
When you happen to have not enough cargo in your company to fill a sea freight container, take advantage of the Less than container Load (LCL) service among major ports around the world. Specialized logistics companies offer an extensive network of facilities and container freight stations. This means that it can offer you space in a container that is shared with other customers ’goods to allow you to use it economically, based on use, while providing frequency, routing, and full content visibility (FCL).
You can read more at: www.lcl.si
4. Improve your cash flow through customs warehousing and import customs procedure 42
- When choosing a warehouse, make sure that the warehouse provider has customs permits that will relieve you from the payment of customs duties. Due to the customs warehouse permit, you will not pay duties upon arrival of the goods, but only upon release of the goods from the customs warehouse. So trought customs warehousing, you will have a significant impact on your company’s cash flow.
You can read more at: customs warehouse.
Import customs procedure 42 is intended for EU importers importing from the countries of the Western Balkans and other non-EU countrie. EU customs legislation enables you customs clearance of goods imported from third countries in another EU member state, and thus also deferral of VAT payment during import customs procedures. Applying customs procedure 42, our customers deffer the payment of VAT, thereby improving their liquidity.
A detailed description of our services, as well as references can be found on the website: Import customs procedure 42 and customs procedure 42.
5. Educate decision makers
The fifth measure to reduce logistics costs is probably the most important. Teach decision makers about this:
- what their decisions mean for logistics,
- what are the synergy effects of integration with specialized logistics companies,
- knowledge of the possibilities offered by EU legislation in the field of logistics services.